Skip to main content

Time Travel video

      Our time travel video was inspired by how everyone's priorities are the here and now rather than helping preserve or improve the world for the future. Alivia is more concerned about who she has a kid with than that her great-great-great-great granddaughter and the rest of humanity are living underground after nuclear armageddon and the flood. Our movie is too big of a file to upload on Blogger, so here is the link to it: 


https://www.dropbox.com/s/sfjbn515kfsvcr8/Time%20Travel.mp4?dl=0


Here is our script:

 

Two women are sitting at a table, typing on laptops. They are approached by a third woman.  

 

Time traveler: Hello, (name)?  

 

Great grandma: Yeah, that’s me? 

 

Time traveler: Oh my god it’s you!  You’re my great-great-grandmother! I’m from 2122 and I have a very important message for you.  

 

Great grandma: There’s no way. Even if you really were from the future, I don’t want kids! 

 

Great grandma’s friend: Accidents happen.  

 

Time traveler: Yeah, even in 2122. My brother got a Borg pregnant and now it’s a whole thing.  

 

Great grandma’s friend: A Borg? 

 

Time traveler: Yeah, a cyborg. They’re part human part robot.  

 

Great grandma’s friend: I know what a cyborg is.  

 

Time traveler: My bad, I forgot they’re a thing in your movies. A lot of the stuff in your movies is real actually. Teleportation, anti-gravity machines, the planet is underwater, we live in bunkers, all that kind of thing. Obviously, we have time travel too.  

Time traveler points to her watch.  

 

Great grandma’s friend: That’s a bracelet.  

Time traveler: No. It’s a time-traveling device disguised to look like something from your time 

Great grandma: Um, no. Obviously, you’re crazy. Please go away we have a project to work on.  

 

Time traveler: I can prove to you that I’m your great-great-granddaughter.  

 

Time traveler lifts her sleeve to reveal a weird-looking mark on her skin. Great grandma gasps. 

 

Great grandma: I have the same one!  

 

Great-grandma also lifts her sleeve to reveal the same one.  

 

Great grandma: How did you get here?  

Time traveler: Well, after the war humanity went underground because of nuclear armageddon. Some scientists unlocked another dimension while they were playing with lasers or something and then made the time travel device to get here so we could ask you for help.  

 

Great grandma’s friend: I’m not convinced. How did you find us?  

 

Time traveler: There was a Snapchat memory in her iCloud archive with the date and location tagged.  

 

Great grandma: She has the birthmark! She’s my great-great-granddaughter! Who do I have kids with?  

 

Great grandma’s friend: That’s what you’re asking? Nothing about the war or what company to invest in so you can be rich?  

 

Great grandma: Well I guess I’d like to know that too... but I also want to know who I have a child with.  

 

Time traveler: Honestly, no one really knows who my great-great-grandfather was. You got pretty busy after your divorce 

 

Great grandma: Excuse me? 

 

Time traveler: Yeah, you married some guy you met in college and then he ended up having an affair. You decided to live it up when he left. Now can I tell you what’s actually important? I only have a few minutes before I have to go back. 

 

Great grandma: Yeah in a minute. Who did I marry from college? 

 

Time traveler: It’s not important! think his name was Brady or Bryce or something like that.  

 

Great grandma’s friend: Bryan? 

 

Time traveler: Yeah, that’s it.  

 

Great grandma’s friend: I told you NOT to take him back. Frat guys never change.  

 

Great grandma: I can’t believe he cheats on me AGAIN.  

 

Time traveler: Yeah well he does. Can I tell you about the war and the flood now? And how I need you to help stop it because we’re literally starving to death below ground? 

 

Great grandma’s friend: Be nice to your elders. She just found out her future husband is a cheat! 

 

Great grandma (crying): I just, I always forgive him, I always think he can change and he doesn’t.  

 

Great grandma’s friend: I know honey, I know. But it’s okay! Lots of people get divorced though! I’m sure it’s even more common in the future. Right? 

 

Time traveler: Uh... not really. When the war was ramping up this one guy, I can’t remember his name but I know he was super conservative, he became president again and he used his wartime power to strip women of their rights. It was some bull about strengthening the home 

 

Great grandma’s friend: You’re not being very helpful.  

 

Time traveler: Well I’m sort of in a stressful situation here. I was just a water tester and then I got sent here to ask you for help because I was the only one with an ancestor whose precise location was available within the scientist's date range or whatever.  

 

Great grandma: My great-great-granddaughter, a water tester? 

 

Great grandma’s friend: Wow. Couldn’t you have aimed any higher with your career? 

 

Time traveler: For your information, we’re assigned our jobs and mine is actually really important because your generation failed to combat global warming and continued to pollute the ocean. Now water testers like me have to evaluate whether the water is drinkable or useable to water crops with.  

 

Great grandma: Well, excuse me.  

 

Time traveler: yeah, except now, the volcano under Yellowstone park has erupted and the ashes have clouded the atmosphere so much that we can’t get any solar power for the lamps that help us grow food!  

 

Great grandma’s friend: If there’s so much water can’t you guys just fish?  

 

Time traveler: No. There aren’t any more fish! They’re either dead because of the pollution or inedible because of all the radiation from the nuclear bombs.  

 

Great grandma’s friend: Well, I don’t think there’s anything we can do about all that. 

 

Great grandma: Yeah... we can’t really stop pollution or stop a nuclear war or whatever.  

 

Time traveler: Yes! You can! All you have to do is-  

 

There is a beeping noise. The time traveler disappears. The two women sit there for a moment 

 

Great grandma’s friend: Well I hope things work out for them. 

 

Great grandma: Me too. I feel bad but that’s like 6 decades from now. 

 

Great grandma’s friend: Yeah, our project is due tomorrow. We don’t really have time to worry about that.  

 

The women go back to working on their projects. Fade to black. 

 

A message appears. (DO YOU HAVE TIME TO SAVE THE WORLD?)  

 

Cut to black. Roll credits.  

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Love, Death & Robots: Pop Squad

            Prior to becoming a short film, Pop Squad was originally a short story published by  Paolo Bacigalupi in a collection titled "Pump Six and Other Stories".    While Phillip Gelatt, the script adapter changed the ending for the film, it made the symbols and the story's theme more impactful overall. For starters, the hat is left behind on the kitchen table, signifying that Briggs has shed his role as an enforcer and is choosing to abandon his post as a state-sanctioned murderer. Furthermore, this allows him to feel the rain on his face. While he feels the rain in the short story, he does not die as he exits the house where Eve and Mealanie live like he does in the film. This enhances the meaning of the rain, signaling to the viewer that he is experiencing a change in his final moments as water is often a symbol of cleansing and rebirth. As he is faced with his own mortality, his eyes widen and come to life for the first time since the viewer has met his character

Final: Phineas and Ferb: Across the Second Dimension

         When discussing what film to pick for our final, my group talked about a number of different contenders. Soylent Green, Sorry to Bother You, Blade Runner 2049... but all those movies, though deep and high budget, were really depressing. Sure, there are glimmers of hope and the everyman hero manages to expose the truth to some success, but none are really fun .          We started talking about sci-fi movies and shows we watched as kids, How to Build a Better Boy, Zapped, Phil of the Future, and others were discussed. But none of them held as much nostalgia for us as the TV movie Phineas and Ferb: Across the Second Dimension .  Fun machines, secret agent animals, robots, songs, familiar characters, and cartoon logic all made this the perfect pick as far as we were concerned. What better movie to pick to discuss how we'll be living in 50 years than one that's already affecting us now?           Phineas and Ferb were how the majority of our generation was introduced to sc

Craiyon